Tips for Seniors Sheltering in Place During Coronavirus
As an active senior you may be asking yourself, “I’m stuck inside, now what?”
Given concerns about the spread of COVID-19, many are choosing to proactively avoid public places even if they are not sick. This is what the Center for Disease Control (CDC) defines as “social distancing” or the act of avoiding locations or situations where close contact with others may occur. Unlike those who have self-quarantined or self-isolated, these individuals have not been exposed to the virus and are simply attempting to reduce risk of infection.
Here’s some ideas to fight the doldrums, remain socially engaged, and keep your mind and body active.
- Stay informed. Listen to and watch news sources that provide accurate updates and pre-cautionary measures a few times throughout the day.
World Health Organization https://www.who.int/
Center for Disease Control https://www.cdc.gov/
- Stay equipped. Order medications and essential products you need on-line or from an app:
- Amazon delivers typically in 1-3 days for essentials and non-essentials
- Instacart: delivery in as little as an hour from local stores such as Sam’s Club, Costco, Albertson’s, Vons, and Stater Bros to name a few
- Shipt: delivers in a few hours- from Target, Petco, CVS
- Buying directly from WalMart, Costco, Target, CVS and Walgreens have no membership fees and offer next day or 2-day shipping
- Stay connected to family and friends via Skye, FaceTime (Apple products), Google Hangouts, and What’s App provides some much-needed face-to-face interactions with family and friends. Play cards or Pictionary games remotely with grandkids or friends. Learn a new skill or create something using videos from YouTube or look up interesting hobby ideas on Pinterest. Or go completely “old school” and write cards to friends you haven’t seen in a while.
- Stay active. Go for a walk around the neighborhood or a local park. Sit outside on the patio or porch and watch the birds and listen to wind chimes. Gardening and exploring nature close to home is always a refreshing activity for the soul too.
This is just another way to live life and enjoy it to the fullest!